Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball - Good and Bad......."

Yes I think it is important. The difference in the commitment in kids who play rec ball and high level ball is important. Even at 10-11 I remember how hard the travel teams played. The rec teams were almost like baby sitting with some players not that interested. I can tell you that non of the players who played rec ball went past HS BB. Almost every kid who played on the elite teams played HS and at some college level.
We had some coaching issues at minor mosquito which is 10-11. A disgruntled parent got the travel coach fired and took over the team. He got rid of most of the good ball players and signed his son's friends. They went from winning 90% of their games to 5%. They were for most part rec ball players. Finally after half the season had been played they fired the coach. My son pitched that season in rec ball and it was totally unfair to the rec players and to my son. It was not challenging and could have turned him off BB. He would have quite if he had to do it again. h
He had friends on the team but the BB was awful. There is nothing wrong with kids who just want to play for fun but the better players are there to compete. The next year he made the travel team and won 2 of 3 games against the Ontario champions to go to the Ontario championships at the major mosquito level.
As far as skills they were taught proper techniques by pro players. At that 10-11 age they were taught by players in the minor league who put on camps. Guys like Carlos Delgado, Vernon Wells, Pat Henke, and many other super star BB pros. I remember Big John Mayberry teaching my son how to hit. This all impacted his desire to play serious BB which is far more important than whether he could put off elite BB until he was on the big diamond. It is about desire and rec ball was counter productive.