Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball - Good and Bad......."

Daque I was actually referring to US teams that had medium size diamonds. Our kids play up to bantam on small diamonds.
I live 10 mins from the US border and we play US teams regularly. We played LL, legion and elite teams from all over the US. Our diamonds are unbelievable and my son's last team before he went to college, played on a MiLB field that had toilettes in the dugout, team and Ump rooms with a full concession concourse. There were also 2 slow pitch diamonds. They hosted the AUBF world series and the Rawlings Wood bat tournaments with some of the top US teams. It was an amazing experience to play and practice there.
Our elite teams played American League rules and followed college level workout programs all year. Winter workouts were in a double field s****r dome with grass turf.
I don't think the whole issue of playing rec ball and trying to catch up is a wise choice. It may be possible but you can't teach desire. The desire is what set players apart assuming they have that innate ability you talk about. There is just no way a kid who would settle for rec ball would be able to take the grind which started at about 15 for us. That assumes that you could make the cut.
Our HS teams a few years ago were pretty good but typically the varsity team had some poor players that watered it down. There were 24 teams broken into 2 conferences. The top teams would play the championship games in the Rogers Sky dome. There were lots of drafted players and even some who play in the pros but it was not the goal to play HS ball. The goal was to play on the best elite team you could afford. If you couldn't afford it you played for your local travel team and they often wouldn't charge if you couldn't afford that. They still had some good coaches but it was mostly daddy ball. The players were not dedicated especially as they got to midget age.