Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball - Good and Bad......."

Batterbing:

I honestly don't understand your point. Twice now I have responded to you -- and it is very clear if you read it -- that Daque is not posting against travel ball. He is saying that until the field becomes full sized, not much matters.

I agree with him. If you see it differently, so be it.

Good players will thrive. Players without the required talent will fade away. Sometimes (many times) players at the younger ages are good because they are oversized for the field.

Later that changes and guys who were overlooked (including many who did not make all stars) will overtake them. It happens frequently at Chaparral, which has a pretty good record of success. Many players rejected by younger travel teams work at it, improve and become more successful than the players included on the travel teams, including the stronger teams.

My point goes a bit further: Travel baseball does not guarantee success. A player can simply play rec leading up to high school and if he has the talent (and good fundamental instruction, which is not limited to travel baseball) still succeed. I see it all the time among players in the Babe Ruth leagues, including some of the stronger players currently in Arizona baseball.

The last thing I clearly don't understand is the apparent derision in your point of view. You can disagree without the personal insults (at least I hope you can). It is very telling on the one hand, but puzzling and offensive on the other.

By the way, you mention the Express. They had some great players, to be sure, but not all of them have had great success in high school and many have been superseded by the very type player that you are ready to overlook by definition.
Last edited by jemaz