Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball - Good and Bad......."

Doug he is in his own little hypothetical world. He qualifies everything to fit his views. Rec team with great coach VS travel team with poor coach. In fact he is reversing the reality. Rec teams are normally loaded with poor ball players who reluctantly practice if at all They are generally run by Dads which is great for their kids who wouldn't make a great allstar team if they paid double the fee.
I have vivid memories of my son's forced experience with rec ball. I remember he was in LF and a pop up to SS. He raced in knowing the guy wouldn't catch the ball. It popped out of his glove and he dove ca thing it before it hit ground. I remember watching routine plays that the blew 99% of the time. I don't think I ever saw a double play unless he started it.
All of his idle meanderings forget that a good talent won't settle for rec ball unless forced to. He can make up all the scenarios he likes but the fact is the sooner you learn correct skills the more likely you will advance to the next level. Most coaches won't even look at a rec player unless he is an absolute stud. Ain't going to happen unless the coach needs bodies.