Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball - Good and Bad......."

quote:
Originally posted by Doughnutman:
I know you have me blocked Daque, but it depends on the program. Many well thought of coaches don't care about Freshman or JV. If you are not on Varsity, you play with your age group to develop the team concept. A lot of times it is better to play on the freshman squad. JV is sometimes filled with players who have little chance to ever play varsity but they want them to be kept in the program to fill uniforms. JV is where more careers end than Freshman IMO.

This is the case at Zacks school-not really by age but by grade because actually Zack is older than the other kids on the team.

Zack is and has always been a CF'r. Coach asked him if he wanted to play varsity and play 4 or 5 innings a game or be the starting CF'r on the JV team and play every inning.

The varsity already has 2 cf'rs that are both varsity in rf and it was said point blank that if Zack was faster than the seniors he would be there. Zack just hasn't grown into his feet yet but makes up for it with reads, routes, etc. But ultimately this is Zack's decision-I explained to him the good and bad of both scenarios and let him make the decision. And FWIW I actually agree with the decision in thinking (hoping) that he will play on both squads. Varsity coach spent an hour with just him in the cage after school so I think he "likes" him LOL.

I welcome all thoughts and opinions.
Last edited by ZacksDad