Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball - Good and Bad......."

Not as extreme as you might think. I can show you a link to a travel team that has about 200 college and pro placements including Joey Votto (Reds), Marcel Champignie ( Ariz State? Milb) and many others. The owner is an Assoc Scout with the Pirates and holds pro tryouts. He spends most of his spare time calling and placing players with the many, many colleges he has had personal relations with. He also played MLB. You can't even play for one of his4 teams unless he sees the potential to place you. I remember a very well liked player who the one team coach put him on the roster and the owner removed him. The coach argued with the owner and his exact words were " I can't place this guy ".
If you are a serious ball player and the opportunities are there you play to the highest level possible. It is the nature of the beast.
Nick Weglarz was an unremarkable HS player. He was cut from a AAA travel team in Niagara Falls Ontario (16U). He hooked up with some great coaches in TO who had recognized his potential and he is in his 3rd year as a pro. One of the purest swings I have ever seen. He needed a lot more work than he had got from the small town travel teams he played for. My son pitched to him indoors when 15 cross checkers were there. He got a 445,000 bonus and was 17 when he signed.