Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball - Good and Bad......."

quote:
Bobble do you think that travel baseball makes the kids talented? Or could it be they were selected to play because they were already more talented than the others?

Coaches need the talented players who he can they can teach to play and execute properly.
I used my son's BKTB coach as an example.
For a few years his HS team traveled to Vegas to play a couple tournaments in Arizona. It was a 4A school and we beat the regularly. The coach retired here and was hired by the team in Arizona. They had the same players as it was his 1st year there. He coached the team to their 1st state championship in 50 years. They held a ticker tape parade for him and the team.
So a great coach can take a bunch of talented team and turn them into a great team.
I once saw a hockey player when I was at college. He was from Boston. He had more natural talent than almost any hockey player I ever saw. He was exciting to watch. He failed because he couldn't be coach at the JR A level. He was the product of poor coaching. I saw him do things you wouldn't believe. He scored 2 goals against the Russian Nats while he was upside down after leaping over the 2 defense men. I saw him score 9 goals in a JR A game to break Sil Apps record the OHA. He also broke every rule and was passed around from team to team. Always suspended. He was so good they gave him a shot in the NHL and he was unable to play as a team player. He only lasted a few games.
A good coach can bring out the best in a player but they need something to work with.