Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel ball and profits"

@SpeedDemon posted:

Swimming is one thing - one pool, one stroke at a time, one length at a time, one clock for all participants. Easy to quantify. Easy to see. Who's ahead and who's behind?

Baseball is a mess - 9 on defense, one on offense to start, hitting, running, throwing, pitching, fielding, where does the ball go? who's responsible for it? where to throw it? how many different pitches? was that a strike or was it framed? And young men don't fully mature until their 20s. I pity college baseball recruiting coordinators. Early recruiting/early commitments are risky!

In spite of my better judgment I’m going to tag onto this as you are on a very good track. Compound everything you just said and add this to the mix. RC’s are often the youngest, most inexperienced member of the college coaching staff. Many were players just a year or two before. How much can they possibly know about how to evaluate talent? How good at it can they be?? The answers are often not much and not very. It takes a few years to be any good at it.