Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball nightmare"

quote:
Originally posted by RonBon:
Both coaches had Minor league experience and promised to teach what the scouts would be looking for in the near future. Their practices were impressive.

RonBon,
Do appreciate your very honest post, and I am sorry that this experience didn't work out for you. Some may disagree, but scouts really don't go looking until HS comes around and they all realize that most players at that age still have developing and learning to do.

I just can't see this at 11. Fungo is a wise Old Timer, read what he has posted, a few times.

I may be old school, but young players need to learn what is age appropriate. The seperation really begins when tehy begin playing on teh bigger field. Until then, they should be having fun. Baseball does keep them busy and out of trouble and tired at the end of the day. I realize that costs have increased, but even now, I wouldn't spend that on my 11 year old for a summer travel team. I do not see the purpose, although I know that some may.

You want your son to learn more about how to play the game at a higher level, spend time watching a game, ML, minor league, any college team. At 11 my son was soaking up every game you could find and he learned a lot by observing. Then he used that time with good coaches who coached for nothing to put it to practice.... with imprinted colored t-shirts and pants that maybe cost less then 20 dollars. For that price we could get a few. Big Grin
I feel for some of you, the pressure that's placed upon you to feel the need to spend this for your players to be better players while so young. I am posting this because I want parents who really can't afford this to know, as GM has stated, you do no have to spend A small fortune to play good baseball, especially at 11. When your sons reach HS, perhaps college and still playing you'll understand.

As always, classy post Fungo!