Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball - not seeing the value for us"

You don’t showcase when you have nothing to show. Showcasing is for 16u and 17u players. There are a handful of exceptional players who are already prospects below 16u

But development is important. Playing challenging competition is important. My son played on a very competitive 13u travel team the summer after 7th grade. He played grade appropriate. He was 12u eligible with a May birthday. He was only 5’2”. He was 5’4” in 14u ball the following year. The summer after freshman year he played 16u. It was high school varsity level ball without the handful of 17u studs. He was now 5’11”. His play on the 16u team as a 14u eligible got him invited to play for top 17u teams in the region the following year.

His travel coaches taught him a lot. When he got to varsity I asked about the coaching. He told me the coaches know their stuff. But he had been taught all of it from 13u to 16u (team skipped 15u). His high school coaches and 17u coaches refined what he had learned earlier.

If the AAU ball in NH sucks maybe you need to look at stronger programs in Massachusetts. Playing horrible Babe Ruth and Legion teams in lieu of spending money is not going to prepare him for high school ball.

Last edited by RJM