Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball - not seeing the value for us"

I don't know your area of the country.  In the Atlanta area, you have several levels and types of travel.  Academy teams are "known for being known" that do zero development, Academy teams known for development, local teams that are cheaper but a little iffy on what you are going to get.  You don't have to pay $3K to get reps.

At 13u, my older son's team fell apart right before the season.  He played pick up ball until we found a great team half way through the season.  Some teams charged us $25 for the weekend, most were free.  There were always teams that would take an extremely fast outfielder.

Your son is a catcher.  About a 1/3 of travel teams need a spare catcher.  If you want reps on the field, you can find them.  Georgia has a website for teams looking for players, most are for a specific weekend/tournament.

Prepubescent weight training trains coordination and some strength.  Not enough testosterone to get big and strong.  I wouldn't pay for a strength trainer until his body can develop from the training.  Just my opinion. Focus should be on faster and more coordinated than strength.