Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Ball - not seeing the value for us"

Hi, thanks for all the replies.

I think there is a lot of misconception here, especially around strength and conditioning... this is not weight lifting.  Baseball specific simply means the trainers understand the needs of overhead throwing athletes and how to build a program, age specific, to address those needs appropriately (think cressey and wasserman).  He has had some of this and it has been awesome, until his trainer left and took a job with MiLB. 90% of what he did was with bands and body weight, doing correctives and strengthening stabilizers, core and legs in multiple planes with light weight.  All targeted at specific mobility concerns whether too much mobility or not enough.

To sum up, my son is not big enough now to be an elite level player, to get elite level coaching and elite level development, yet I am expected to pay elite prices for glorified little league coaches.  if you want position specific help, they want you to pay for it above and beyond.  Very happy to sign you up for lessons at $100/hr.  Winter practices are ground balls in a cage the size of maybe 3 hitting tunnels with not enough space to simulate the distance from anywhere but mound to plate, so you never throw the ball more than 60 feet all winter.  Hitting practice consists of funneling 3 teams worth of players from T-work to soft-toss, to machine and then some live BP, get in, get 10 swings, get out, wait your turn again....oh but if you are a catcher, sorry, no hitting, we need you in the cage catching live BP. Oh, you'd like help with your transfers and throws, um we can talk to coach about extra lessons where you can throw into a net 60 ft away....   Spring consists of approximately 30 games plus 2 or 3 3game tourneys (mostly local thank god).  Outdoor practice in season, once a week fungos....  $4000 bucks thank  you.

Again, not looking for recruiting at 14/15yo, when he grows and is 17, we'll see.

I don't mind paying the money, everyone else does... I just want value for it and not feel like i'm dealing with swindlers who are laughing all the way to the bank.  And honestly, now that there are giant corporations buying up all the travel programs, laughing all the way to the bank is exactly what they are doing.