Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Organizations Paying College Coaches?"

This sparked my interest and I made a few phone calls.  It does happen more than I thought.  The top organizations are paying coaches to come watch particular games.  The regular stuff that I knew happened is still going on and coaches are paid to use their fields, to come to showcases, and to work camps.  But the new thing is for coaches to be paid to attend games that way the organization can guarantee players they will be seen by certain schools and it is also a draw for the teams they are playing.  One guy even told me he knew a HC had been paid to come watch an organization team play at a big event for all of their games.  They are also doing these tournaments now like showcases where the schools are paid to use their fields and the agreement is that the school will provide a coach and 4/5 other coaches from other schools at all games.  The schools pay the other coaches out of their (rental fee) so the organization somewhat stays clean.

I asked the question do you think it is a conflict of interest and every coach said no because they are still going to recruit the best guys they can.  It just helps get the guys seen.  Some organizations are doing it instead of paying the big entry fees for some tournaments.  They are guaranteeing their guys get seen by the level of schools they think their guys are more suited for.  This does make sense.  Pay $2500 to go to WWBA and have nobody see your games or pay 10 coaches $200  to come watch your kids play a scrimmage against another team of even level.  We say it all the time, if you are not the big dogs the big tournaments are a waste of time.  I'm second guessing my original thought on this procedure.  It is guaranteeing your players playing time in front of coaches that need to see them.  That is what showcase ball is about.