Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Organizations Paying College Coaches?"

TPM posted:
Showball$ posted:

If money is changing hands (and it is) at any part of the recruiting process between the parties involved and the parties making the final decision......then it very simply can, will, and does affect the final decisions being made. It can and will distort the recruiting process into a pay to play situation for all but the top level players.

It creates a gate keeper situation. The gate to be seen is blocked by:

1.) Your ability to pay the travel org.

2.) The $ bribed by the travel org keeps the coaches attention focused to where they are being paid to watch. Can't be in 2 spots at once. If you go predominantly only where paid, you're just taking a recruiting bribe.

3.) All things equal between a certain group of players. Each throw 86 so are late recruits, same size, similar results. You've done your job and seen all 3, but spent more time at XYZ because they paid you. The $ involved taint the decision making process. Just as they were intended to do. Pave the path.

It all combined creates a highly unethical situation. No way around it.

Very simple.

You are 100% correct and unless the word camp or showcase is used to describe the event or the coach is asked to be a guest speaker, it's not allowed.

So you are saying the NCAA rules it illegal unless camp or showcase is used or coach is speaking?  That is interesting that they would have that specifically but that is handled easily by paying a coach to attend the XXX showcase tournament between organization A and B. 

I don't see that having a large amount of players from the Canes Organization(just an example) would be a bad thing for anyone.  I don't see how it hurts the program or school or recruiting as a whole since they are one of the top organizations in the nation.  I think any college in any P5 would be glad to take the entire Canes National team as their recruiting class for any year and don't see how that hurts the whole ecosystem other than a kid who wants to go to that school who doesn't play for Canes but that is life.  Life is not fair.