Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Organizations Paying College Coaches?"

I'm really not trying to argue just trying to figure this out in my mind to see where I stand on it.  On the one organization thing, Showball said "

2.) The $ bribed by the travel org keeps the coaches attention focused to where they are being paid to watch. Can't be in 2 spots at once. If you go predominantly only where paid, you're just taking a recruiting bribe.

3.) All things equal between a certain group of players. Each throw 86 so are late recruits, same size, similar results. You've done your job and seen all 3, but spent more time at XYZ because they paid you. The $ involved taint the decision making process. Just as they were intended to do. Pave the path.

It all combined creates a highly unethical situation. No way around it."

which i interpret to mean that it is an undue advantage somehow or wrong or unethical.  I'm not sure (still trying to figure it out) if I agree with that mindset.  An organization has an obligation to get their guys seen by the most coaches at the highest level and recruited.  paying them to be at events guarantees them to be seen.  I can see if you are paying the coach to take them but you are just guaranteeing them to be seen which is why teams go to PG events, especially the big ones now.  It just narrows the field down of coaches being seen.  Someone stated that it was wrong for the top organizations with money to be able to pay coaches to recruit their players and I don't see it that way.  They are just using their money to guarantee that a certain level of coach (fishing in the right pond) sees their kids play.  I think that could be mid major D1, P5, juco or D3 coaches according to your specific team makeup.  I have always said it is stupid for certain lower level teams to go to WWBA and pay $3500 to play when they could use that same money to guarantee they are seen by the coaches that fit their program.  Why not pay a few D3 or juco coaches to come watch your team play another team of the same level rather than go to WWBA where it is a shot in the dark.  JMO.  As I said, still trying to figure out where I stand on this.