Skip to main content

Reply to "Travel Sports World Series - Pitching Limitations (cough cough)"

roothog66 posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Just plain crazy.  Counting pitches as opposed to innings is the way to go

Next, lets talk about the kids who throw 75+ pitches and then play 3B or SS in the next game the same day on a 60/90 diamond.   Or even the next day, or for 2 days after that, & then get pitched again because they are on 2-3 days "rest"

This one never bothered me as much. Generally, my son's cool-down program, which he does immediately after pitching, is much more rigorous with throwing than anything he would do by taking a position in the infield for the rest of a game. Having said that, I'd prefer the controlled atmosphere of his cool down program.

At a smaller school like ours, I run into this all the time with my pitchers. They are all needed in the lineup after they pitch. A kid with our program is never going to go from the mound to the bench. Outside of blow outs, we can't afford that luxury.

Kind of the same story here.  Small town, limited number of players all the way thru HS.   Son played both local rec and travel from 9U on up.  Then travel and even some Legion during HS.   Heck, sometimes he played 7 days straight...and loved every minute of it.  SS, P and some C.   Rarely sat unless it was a blowout.  He has never iced...really didn't even ever have a "cooldown" of any kind until he got to college and has never so much as woke up with a sore arm.  He's been lucky I guess but I wasn't going to be the one to tell him he had to take some innings off....lol.