Skip to main content

Reply to "TravelBall / Showcase teams, but at what cost?"

Yardbird,

Did you mention "self absorbed"?

You need to actually read what others are saying. I did address the problem, at least what we do to help.

Perhaps the bigger problem is actually finding all those disadvantaged players. We try very hard to do just that. Personally I think that might be the best thing about travel baseball. More people out there looking for the best talent.

Just as important is creating interest in baseball at a very young age. We do some things that help, but there is much more that could be done.

I will say this... If a player has talent and is playing somewhere, we are likely to hear about him. If the player is not playing, not much anyone can do to find him.

BTW, as an example, we sponsor one of the largest High School Tournaments in the country. (San Diego Lions Club). There are many talented players that pop up during that tournament. But obviously they all are playing high school baseball.

I'm far from satisfied with what we have accomplished in helping deserving young players that have no means. We keep trying and have had some success! Please give us some good ideas that might help.

Sorry, I actually thought everything I wrote dealt with the subject. Though, sometimes it is hard to figure out just exactly what the real subject is. Is it off season baseball, or spending money, or training, or underprivilaged kids, or recruiting, videos or what?

The title of this thread...
TravelBall / Showcase teams, but at what cost?
It started by Coach Milburn talking about video and recruiting. It did turn into a travel ball vs Legion debate for awhile. I don't recall posting anything pertaining to anything but the discussion.

Anyway, after many months here is what Coach Milburn posted...

quote:
Great post, I believe there is too much emphasis on playing (especially year-around) and not enough time spent on getting proper instruction to become a better baseball player.

I also like to see kids play multiple sports which only makes them a better and more well-rounded athlete.

Yardbird, Other than stating "Coach Milburn you are the man and every thing you have stated is the sad truth even without our newly formed economy."

So what exactly are your thoughts on what Coach Milburn posted? Proper instruction? Multiple sports?

I'm certainly in favor of both those things. How about you?