Skip to main content

Reply to "Tread Athletics?"

@HSDad22 posted:

My son did Tread for a while and he decided to bow out at the penalty of 1 month fee.  They did say if he wanted to start back up they'd apply that to his tuition.  Plus with the 12 Mo commitment (@$4,000) and leaving for college after 3, we weren't sure what his college coaches would think.  The Remote Coach was also not the right fit for him and we found him not as responsive.  Hard to get weekly call set up and because my son is not a talker, he needed someone who would lead the conversations about his training.  Seemed like coach wasn't prepared and didn't view his uploaded video's each week to review.  Conversations went like this.   "How are you doing?  Good?  Good?  Everything looks Good?  Just keep doing what you are doing"...He felt like he was not given clear direction on exactly what to work on and was left a bit too much on his own as there is a lot of optional work in the provided spreadsheet.   I think Tread is a bit overwhelmed right now and don't spend the appropriate time with high school/college athlete who isn't top tier.

I will mention my son is a dedicated worker, his former S&C and throwing coach took a MLB job and said on of the onlly reasons he stuck around to finish out the year was because of my 2 son's dedication and he just liked working with them.  So it wasn't like my son wasn't committed to doing Tread, which was a replacement for his former coach.

Also the spreadsheet you get with your Individual workout, can be hacked, ie it's all lookups and formulas to give you your workout (throwing drills and weight training) based on your evals and in season/out of season, etc. so you can basically unhide the sheets and see what to work on if you manipulate it yourself.  It's set up so any of the coaches can design a program based on your identified needs, and it's all there.  But to do so you really need to be an expert in excel. Not saying you should do that, just saying it's more about the eval than the program.

Do I think Tread is good, yes,, It's not a weighed ball program or a get velo quick kind of place... ... but you aren't going to get Ben Brewster or Tyler Zombro as your coach.   So just make sure it's a fit.  If you are looking for strong guidance remote training may not be the best fit, you'll know right away if the coach is dedicated to your improvement.  If you have patience and can just follow a program without having full discussions on exactly why and how and self learning/teaching, but simply do the work, it probably can work for you.

You need to go through the remote program before getting an invite to train in person at their facility.

Just my $.02

PM sent.