Skip to main content

Reply to "Trinity University/ McMurry University"

Indeed! I was being called from downstairs to chaperone everyone to the basketball game and didn't have time to post anything substantive at that time, but now I do Cool

Trinity is academically one of the top schools in the country - many 'rankings' and 'best of' awards. To us, that was really important. As you're from Texas I'll assume you know that San Antonio is one of America's great cities - just a cool place. I love it there. Beautiful campus.

Baseball: always solid. Have had six or seven guys go into pro ball (MiLB - Cardinals, Jays, Mariners, and independent) since 2004. Very nice field. Coach Scannell is a stand-up guy that recruits for his needs and doesn't promise the moon to every kid that shows an interest. He's not getting a bunch of kids onto campus (over-recruiting) with false promises. He lets guys that he wants know exactly where he sees them as FY and beyond. Very refreshing. He's a Boston-area guy, and has solid connections to the Cape and other top summer leagues - they are the rare D3 that can place guys in the Cape, Northwoods, NYCBL, NECBL, etc (I hope my acronyms are correct!).

My son is a pitcher and his pitching coach is also a stand-up guy. He's very low-key, very positive, and absolutely knows his stuff. Look how many of Trinity's pitchers have done well after graduation. Last year they led the nation is strikeouts per inning. Bronson (LHP) was drafted by the Brewers last year but decided to return and graduate this year. Oates (RHP) signed with the Mariners and is successfully working his way up the ladder. There are others as well. Just a great guy all-around, really believes in creating ATHLETES through weight-training, pilates, bikram yoga, and a finely-tuned regimen of throwing drills which are ongoing through the year. I don't think it gets any better than Dave Smith if you're a pitcher, at any school/level.

TU recruits nationally. Lots of guys from California, especially, but you'll see guys from all over the country. The coaching staff works hard throughout the year, getting out on the road for tournaments and showcases, and identifying those guys with the grades and skill sets to succeed both in the classroom and in a BB program that can usually be expected to make a deep run into the post-season. Last year they were one run away from getting to the DIII WS. They believe this may be the year to crack it, as they return an incredible offense, Bronson on the bump, and have brought in some very talented mound transfers and FY's.

Hang around the message boards at d3baseball.com, and you'll gather a lot more info there (see 'multi-region conferences'). McMurry has a guy who posts regularly there and you can probably PM him (see 'West Region' conferences) for info on that program.

Hope that helps!! ILVBB and infielddad can also provide insights of their own into the program if you'd care to PM them. ILVBB's son is a position player at TU and one of the best hitters in the land. ifd's son played there, was drafted, and now coaches there.