Skip to main content

Reply to "Trying to get back into affiliated ball"

Shep,
In reading your posts, looking at your video and checking the 2007 stats in the Nationals organization, one impression immediately comes to mind:
Something is not working in the way you are approaching this.
To be honest, if you were 91-94 in front of a number of scouts and did not get a sniff, that should be a clue for you. To have been released after the looks you report means what you are doing isn't getting the job done.
To my mind, it means you need to change your mental and skills approach for anyone to notice. If you keep doing what you have been doing, why can you expect anyone to view you differently?
To me, it is important to know 91-94 pounding the strike zone is batting practice fodder in Milb.
Just guessing, but your 2007 stats, Whip and BB's, with short looks since then suggests you need to focus on command of pitches other than your FB so you can throw them in any count, throw them for strikes in any count, and force hitters to be hitting your pitch, not having them hit their pitch.
Most Milb hitters I talked with, but mostly our son, said velocity is not big deal in Milb. They see it all the time and some faster than yours.
What makes the difference is being able to throw 92 on one pitch, 78 on the next, having them both locate where called by the catcher...and having them look exactly the same out of your hand.
Having command of 3 pitches that all look the same when delivered would seem to be where you are missing the mark based on the 2007 stats and, to an extent, even your video. Based on your 2007 stats, it looks like you are pitching behind in counts and with runners, lots of them on base.
That needs to change and the approach you have taken in the past needs to change.
Again, I am just guessing what changes need to occur.
My sense is I am accurate that changes need to occur.
If I am anywhere close with this guess, Indy ball is indeed the best place for you to identify what has not worked/been working, recognize the changes you can make, and develop them in ways that might "earn" you a chance.
No one is going to "give" you anything in Milb. You are going to have to earn that chance.
To be real honest, if you don't change from where you have been and what you have been doing, BHD is really presenting a question you need to ask yourself and be quite honest in the answer.
Good luck to you.
Last edited by infielddad