Skip to main content

Reply to "Tryout Surprises"

Matt,

I don't share your enthusiasm for Portsmouth winning this years Class I championship. Here's my take on the team.

We don't have a shortstop, the loss of Fransoso in the field and at top of the order is huge! New catcher, probably a sophomore. Sophomore at third who will be ok defensively but losing Bergeron who did a great job hitting behind Montville will be another big loss. Both corner outfields will be new and who knows how they will perform.

Pitching is thin with Nate Jones and Keegan Taylor from last year and that's it. Other pitchers were JV's last year. I thought Coach Hopley would use Mike to pitch but he won't. Doesn't want to take chance of hurting his arm from what I hear. I think he could help but as I parent I have to respect Hop, he's looking beyond the High School season. Jones would be our answer at SS but Hop never lets a pitcher play SS because of the stain on the arm. Coach Hopley thinks about the players before winning games - commendable.

It we get some guys to hit Montville might have an ok season but most (including him) don't see him getting many good pitches pitches to hit. Add to that all the hype (way to much in my opinion). It will be interesting to see how he handles it

I think St. Thomas, Souhegan, Bedford and few other have an excellent chance of getting to the finals.

On the ring issue, he has never worn them - sitting in boxes at our house. Doesn't feel comfortable wearing then, thinks its bragging. Speaking of rings, congratulations to your school's basketball team for winning the state championship.