Skip to main content

Reply to "Tucson, AZ - Hotels and food"

Just returned from Tucson, but didn't stay in a hotel. (Conference at the Ventana Lodge, which is pricey.)

IMO, the downtown area near Congress/Broadway/6th Ave is sort of weird at night and deserted. It seemed better around the University of AZ going E toward Sabino Canyon down Speedway and Tanque Verde Rd, getting closer to Ventana Canyon. New development and growth around there, but not at city center. Sort of suburban.

Sometimes, the best places are B&B Inns. You get a nice small place with knowledgable staff, and a great breakfast. Try one of these: The Adobe Rose Inn is a small B&B Inn that's very quaint and I've heard good things about it (includes a very good breakfast) but maybe on the pricey side. The Royal Elizabeth has some moderately priced rooms and a fabulous breakfast (www.royalelizabeth.com) Or go chain. I would consider the Comfort Suites at Sabino Canyon or the one near the Tucson Mall, depending on which side of Tucson you want to be on.

We ended up having to eat at the conference mostly, but we got out for breakfast one day and LOVED Millie's Pancake Haus (try the corn cakes) and we ate lunch at an absolutely delicious (and inexpensive) Mexican seafood restaurant on 6th Ave past Ajo Way going S toward the rodeo grounds (we were the only gringos there) and I can't remember the name of it. Has a sign with a shrimp on it and "Pescados Mariscos" in the name. Highly recommend it. Hopefully you'll get to hike up in the mountains and cayons. Just beautiful, but wear long pants. Everything is *****ly and spiney and sharp.
Last edited by quillgirl