Skip to main content

Reply to "Tufts University"

I also appreciate the candor and the "closure" of the story of what happened.  Many times people leave this forum once their kid makes it to college, pros or of course stops playing, and it is good to hear how things went for someone, or did not in this case.  

HV, I am sorry to hear about your son's experience. While I equally appreciate the support for this particular coach from others, it is second and third and further hand...whereas your experience is first hand (or your son's is at least).  

It might be useful to be a bit more constructive about some of the negative lessons or warning signs, or promises made to your son.  Four years ago they were aggressively recruiting him.  Clearly Tufts was an academic fit - so what happened?  Did they over recruit?  Did Coach Casey play favorites (despite their performance)? I mean, the overall record does not mean they could have not been even better had other guys played.  Our HS coach insists on playing certain kids, despite how they perform in games, and it can go under the radar screen if we win anyway.

Does the coaching staff use certain metrics that kept your son from getting playing time?  Was there something your son did that put him on the "negative" list (ie take an afternoon lab, not play over the summer, junior semester abroad, etc.)?  Clearly as an OF this was not about pitching velocity so I'm not even going to go there.  Was your son healthy all 4 years?  

I am sure this is painful for him, you and your family.  My son had some initial discussions with Tufts (including Casey's son who is now RC), and they told him "they are on a good position and can afford to be picky about who they recruit."  I have to add my son did not like the campus at all and scratched it from his list pretty early on as he felt it was in suburbia and he preferred to be in the city, despite the fact it is only a few T stops away!