Skip to main content

Reply to "Tufts University"

TPM posted:
DesertDuck posted:
TPM posted:

Coaches are not dishonest, but rather people tend to hear what they want.

Here is the deal, you know nothing about the recruits that are listed on PG. 

Rather than spend hours pouring over PG, just ask the coach during recruiting how many they plan on bringing in.  Have your son do well in the classroom and on the field and he will be fine. People have to stop obsessing over this.

Let's take a bit closer look at these statements shall we?

1. Coach's are not dishonest, but rather people tend to hear what they want. Do you personally know every coach in college baseball? (i'm guessing not). How do you validate a statement like this? The use of the word 'tend' in the second part is a good qualifier, but again......HUGE generalization!

2. You know nothing about the recruits that are listed on PG. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't? Maybe his kid is considering an offer to the school mentioned? Maybe he knows just about everything about everyone of them? (appears he likes to do some research on the subject, No?)

3a. Have your son do well in the classroom and on the field and he will be fine. I'll step out on the edge here and say.....Pretty sure that the OP feels his son did EXACTLY this and look what happened to him. Do any of us know the depths of the actual situation just by reading the first/original post? Of course not....Personally doing what you imply in this statement guarantee's nothing but MAYBE a 'decent' opportunity. Pretty sure that no-ones sone sets out to do poorly either in the classroom or on the field from the get go. (I know....I shouldn't generalize...lol)

3b. People have to stop obsessing over this. Wouldn't it be fair to say that one man's obsession is another man's hobby? How can you generalize with such broad statements about people you likely no nothing about? Seems to me that 'SDR' is not obsessing but rather educating himself on the topic which is likely to have a rather big impact on his family in a number of ways as he navigates down the path.

I get that you have been around here a while, have traveled the road that many of us are just getting started on (or are in the middle of) and may even have quite a bit of experience with the college baseball recruiting topic in general. But it seems (at face value) to be rather disingenuous and perhaps even counter-productive to paint EVERYONE with such a broad brush.....No?

You arent gonna like this, but after 3 and a half years of not making the team, maybe the player, in the coaching staffs opinion would not contribute to the success of the team, for any reason.

Thats usually the case, and I truly understand that parents see their players as better than they are, but this is how it works.  

??

Is this like a..."Ground Control To Major Tom" type moment that I'm not quite picking up on?

I like it just fine and agree completely.