Skip to main content

Reply to "Tufts University"

There is a tab on Tufts baseball website where you can get last year's media guide which shows both varsity an jv.  At least for 2015 it did http://www.jumbobaseball.com/media-guide.  

I have to add to my 2 cents. I copied a post from a while ago, the good and the bad is explained in this post, but the program and the coach are named.  So, while it's not done frequently, it is done.   Generally, I don't see the problem expressing naming someone if there is a bad experience, given that it is ok to issue superlatives to a named coach at other times.   HV started a hot button, I don't want to speak for him, but I'm sure his only intention was to provide information.  As a dad I certainly appreciate his position and sympathize with it.  BTW look at HV 's past posts and you can see what happened.  Again the below post is from over 10 years ago.

Info on top New England Schools | High School Baseball Web

Gold glove,
My brother, Ben Simon, is a captain at Tufts. He is a pitcher there. I won't speak much about it academically, because the NESCACs are all top notch schools. Tufts is particularly strong in political science, engineering, and sciences.

As for baseball, Ben has had an interesting 3 years. He was thrown into the weekend rotation as a freshman, and was the #1 as a sophomore and a junior. Coach Casey is an extremely intense man. It is well known in the area that people either love him or hate him. As a 2 year captain, Ben has had many experiences that frustrated him, but his overall experience has been great. Because Casey is so intense, he recruits hard nosed kids who want to work hard on and off the field. If you don't want to get yelled at, it's not the right place for you. If you don't want to hit the weight room and the swimming pool, it's not the right place for you. If you want to surround yourself with tough kids who sacrifice as much as possible to win, it is the right place for you. Last year, Tufts was #9 in the country until they lost 7 games in 2 weekends to Bowdoin and Middlebury. 6 of the 7 were one run games. They finished 24-14 and they beat 2 teams (Eastern CT and NC Wesleyan) that made the D III CWS. This year's team is hoping to get to the NCAAs and returns a very strong senior class.

On Sunday, Ben broke his arm in the middle of a fall ball practice. It was a freakishly scary experience for all involved. Coach Casey got to the field some time later (in the NESCAC, coaches cannot be present at fall ball practices, although this MUST change or else somebody is going to get sued for alot of $$$) and drove him to the hospital. He stayed with him all night, drove him back to his house, and waited with him until my parents picked him up. He stayed in the hospital room with him while doctors tried to mend the situation so that season ending surgery would not be neccessary. Ben called it the most painful thing he's ever endured and said that the only person he would have ever wanted with him other than family was Coach Casey.

I understand when people rip Casey because he definitely can make some enemies with his behavior. However, I can say with 100% assurety that if you play 4 years for him and give him everything you have, he will go to war for you.