Skip to main content

Reply to "Turf Cost"

Originally Posted by JCG:

Stats... like Crash Davis, I'm not a big fan of turf, and I think that the health concerns about it are starting to get a little traction.  However, I don't get your point:  if half your games are home doesn't having an all-weather field help you get in 50% of your games as scheduled?

I wasn’t trying to say it wouldn’t help, but that as long as all the other teams are subject to the weather, it wouldn’t help as much as one might believe. I’ll try an example. Let’s say you have 30 games scheduled. Realistically, not all of them are going to be wiped out because of weather, so let’s say a third of the games (10) are affected. If the split is even, you’ll get in 5 games you otherwise wouldn’t have, but will still have to make up 5 of the games. I don’t know what your schedule is, but unless it’s normal to have 3-4 games scheduled every week, I don’t see gaining that advantage as that big a deal. Remember, I’m out here in the land of fruits and nuts so I have a hard time grasping the difficulties of dealing with weather.