Skip to main content

Reply to "Turf Cost"

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

Coach_Sampson,

I can’t answer your question, but i hope you’ll indulge me and answer a couple of mine.

I see you’re in St. Louis so I know weather will be an issue for you, but unless everyone you play also installs turf, having it won’t do a lot of good as far as playing games as scheduled. So I’m ASSUMING the reason has something to do with maintenance.

Is the school going to be paying or will it be something like a booster club or donations.

It is just at the beginning stages... We don't have a booster club for baseball but have a "Parents Association" for all sports. The last thing they gave us was 2 bats when BBCOR rules came out. 

As for games we had 3 games moved from an away game to home game due to field conditions last year. 

It is a practice thing for the most part and maintenance as well. So we are in an interesting situation. Before I got to the school, in an attempt to reduce maintenance cost, as well as to reduce rain outs, the school went from an all skin infield to an all grass infield with sliding pits. The issue that this caused was that this field was used by the softball team in the fall as well. So the school decided to cut sliding pits for the softball team... in the baseball center field. So this is an attempt to be able to get practices in late fall for softball and early spring for baseball. As well as get rid of the softball field in center field and allow both teams to share the infield.

I'm going to push it as a revenue stream opportunity by renting out field time to local legion, club, and youth baseball and softball teams. As well as possible increase in enrollment for boys and girls that want to play at a top notch facility.   

So in reality I have no clue how this is going to get paid for... I was just trying to figure out a number so I could bring it to the administration to even see if it was feasible. 

Last edited by Coach_Sampson