Skip to main content

Reply to "Two Hands on the Bat!!"

coach2709 posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
coach2709 posted:

Once contact has been made the only thing that matters is get out of the box and start running.  One hand or two hands don't matter.  I like what Cabbage said about where top hand ends up and switching to two hands for drill purposes.  But once the ball is hit the swing is over and now you transition to running.

If a catcher gets hit then it's the catcher's fault for being too close.  I learned that back in the day when my throwing elbow got drilled by a bat on a follow through.

My son, 14u, has been hit twice in the back of the head. Twice the batters have been called out instantly and both team coaches came running for him. In order to avoid it he would have had to have been at least 6 feet behind the plate, that's just not feasible.  

My hope is as the kids get older they can swing one handed without hitting the catcher.

Is he getting hit on the front end of the swing or the follow through?  Getting hit in the back of the head I could see horrible swings where they throw the barrel out then try to bring it through the zone which could get him.  If it's on the backswing I would have to see it to figure out what's going on.

It does get better as he gets older......thankfully

RHB swings at an upward angle let's go with right hand, bat/arm continue motion as bat starts descending, body does a nearly full twist and the bat (while arm is fully extended) hits my son on the back of the head, HARD.