Skip to main content

Reply to "Two Hands on the Bat!!"

old_school posted:
 but I would guess it is a matter of the sample size being too small.

Yes it was a small sample size... like I said it was the hitters I worked with; which is 10-12 players who are 12 or 13...BUT, when I had a ball on the tee and had them swing to contact and stop, while holding the bat right by the ball take their top hand off and watch the barrel drop below the ball.  The bat's they used were 30-32 inches and 22-26 oz's so nothing to heavy for 12 and 13 yr olds.

I asked them all if they could be 100% sure they wouldn't take the top hand off until well past POC and of course they couldn't.

And to further demonstrate the point I had use a lighter bat and swing one handed.  Load with two hands... start the swing and take the top hand off, quite a few of them popped the ball up because the barrel dropped.  Did the same thing only this time took the bottom hand off and no barrel drop and most of them hit the ball on a line.

Again.. this is just my observation with the hitters on my son's team, not saying it is 100% correct of anything.  I'm sure there is some value in a one handed swing...I just haven't seen it with the players I work with.