Skip to main content

Reply to "Two Questions"

I agree with everything you said NewUmpire until the last statement.  That is the problem with baseball is no two umpires enforce the rules the same.   Every umpire has his own strike zone, what is a balk, and such.  It will never happen, and I was an umpire in college and minor league for years, but we must get to a more concise version of what is what in calls.

College baseball has become a joke when you watch reviews and it is clear to everyone on both sides and they still uphold the original call.  I've never understood why the umpire who made the call is involved in the conversation on the review.  What he saw or thought should have no influence over the review.  They should watch it and make a call with no interpretation from the umpires on the field.  But as an SEC higher up told me recently.  If we overrode every one that came through in review that should be no one would trust the umpires.  My response to my friend was no one trust them now.  There was a crew chief recently that when they looked at hit trax he missed 58% of his ball strike calls and yet called the next weekend as a crew chief again.