Skip to main content

Reply to "Two-Tone Gloves"

quote:
Originally posted by HiwasseeVol:
BBFORLIFE,
It all looks simple to me unless the umpire's name is "Bill Clinton".
quote:
The NFHS rule 1-3-6 states "the glove worn by the pitcher must be uniform in color and neither white or gray."

The rule does not refer to contrasting colors it states uniform in color. Black and tan are two different colors and are therefore not uniform. It is clear pitchers can not wear gloves of more than one color or gloves that are solid but gray or white.

_I say it must me uniform in color._

quote:
The part that is confusing to me is the remedy/penalty.

The NFHS rulebook states the penalty for using an illegal glove is rule 8-3-c (1.) Each runner is awarded: 2 bases if a live thrown ball, including a pitch is touched by an illegal glove.

However there is a FED casebook ruling (1.15(D))that instructs the umpire to simply have a pitcher stop using a multi-colored glove.

Does the casebook ruling only apply to a situation where an opposing coach complains about a pitchers glove before a play is made?

_I would also like to hear the answer for this question!_

_"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."_

An illegal glove is one that does not meet the size specifications. Anytime an ilegal glove is discovered, the penalty is enforced. A multi-colored glove is a different situation. When a complaint is made, it's removed, unless the PU determines it's not a problem. Some coaches complain just to annoy the pitcher.

Bob

Bob