Skip to main content

Reply to "Two Way HS Players"

For those who have pitching limits on their kids, which is hard for me to comprehend having that conversation with a coach, what are you going to do when they reach college.  I would love to be a fly on the wall when a parent tells a college coach I don't want little Johnny to throw more than 60 pitches an outing and that can happen only on 5 days rest.  I understand the overuse of arms but I don't see it happening now that the pitch count rules are in place.  I don't see a kid throwing more than he should be able to throw in this new world order.  If a kid is doing what they are supposed to do and has thrown the rest of the year and done preseason preparation, they should be ready to throw when season starts.  My sons played three sports but threw in preparation for baseball every year and were ready to go day one of baseball games.  That does not guarantee you won't get hurt but it should prevent a lot of it.  For the parent that will want limits, they should also want their son to do his part and be ready before season starts.  This got me interested in looking at son's stats in HS.  He pitched 56, 56.1, 58, and 67.2 innings per season on varsity.  Plus pitched about 50 innings in the summer and played fall ball.  Never had arm problems and never missed a start.  Normally went the entire game or pretty close and played a fielding position when he was not pitching.

Last edited by PitchingFan