Skip to main content

Reply to "Two Way HS Players"

After my son was offered by a JUCO via text after watching him play in a tourney, we were asked down for a visit and to get the specifics of the offer.   When we went down, I asked the coach point blank if he had spoken with my son's high school coach.  My son included his contact info in every email he sent the college coach, but guess what?  He never once reached out to his high school coach.  He said he rarely does because it's not worth his time.  My son was the first 2021 he had offered and it was legit money.  It seems unthinkable you wouldn't want to get one more perspective before offering real money, but I think it's happening very rarely.  I know there are a select few legit high school coaches out there in baseball hotbeds and they have really important working relationships with college coaches.  But I'd bet that most are just like my son's - high school teachers trying to stay young and trying to relive their glory years by MANAGING their high school baseball team.  They're not coaches; not instructors.  Most of our kids are coming up through little league with former pros and the like as coaches.  The instruction they received at age 8 ends up making whatever "instruction" their high school coaches are spewing out, the equivalent of "atta boy" and "rock n' fire, kid."  "Keep your back elbow up" and the like.  I applaud them for putting in a lot of hours for peanuts, but it waters down the term "coach" for those that actually do it.