Skip to main content

Reply to "Two Way HS Players"

First, I need to mention that I coached in a special situation where our trainer was actually on staff as a member of our faculty.  We have a training room and our athletes funnel in there during their lunch/homeroom hour.  We have all of the latest technology our trainer needs. 

Our trainer was at all of our games at home.  He also made a few road games.  He has an assistant as well.  When my pitchers played another position, we had the same pitch count as everyone else.  100 pitches was the mark.  However, they knew that the next day, they would DH in the game and not play a position.  That rule was steadfast and there was not a chance I would let them play a position.  The trainer would have three sessions with this pitcher minimum before they took the field as a position player and the trainer had the ability to let me know that any given player needed additional time.  I guess I was fortunate to have the numbers and talent to be able to do this.  In all of that time, I only had one parent complain about this policy.  That parent eventually came to understand my madness and thanked me for it.