Skip to main content

Reply to "Two-Way Player... becoming more common? Should it? Thoughts"

A player recruited as a two way should expect the odds are he ends up a pitcher only. Almost every position player can be moved to another position. Not everyone can be moved to pitcher. Not every pitcher can throw strikes. 

That's the thing about the kid. He can throw all the offspeed pitches for strikes, and do it with the same motion/delivery (no tipping) as his FB. Coach told him at one point I recruited you because you have a dam near MLB level CB. The problem is he can't spot it (FB). Close, he can almost always get it across the plate, but low and away might be up and in, or right down the middle, all for K's, but... We knew that and we knew that would hurt him at the college level, but they seemed to have the whole "I'm a college PC and I'll fix that" mindset. Thing is a few coaches before them thought the same thing. The more people tried to make him throw it to a spot the worse it went. He got to the point his senior year he didn't really work on pitching, but come Friday night he'd embarrass kids headed to DI. We saw him as a kid who could eat up innings mid-week, never thought anyone would take him as a weekend starter. All that said, in the whole "close only counts in" mindset, if he could locate the FB just that last little bit and had about 5-6 mph on his FB he'd be a top 5 round pick no doubt.

No argument with any of that. However I will say this, being a good (productive) hitter in HS doesn’t always project to being one in college. The range of quality in HS pitching is huge. Position players that play in big classifications vs top flight pitching are infinitely better prepared for college. Players in the best 6A HS  in Texas face a college bound pitcher in every Tuesday & Friday night district game. A player can hit .300 in a district like that and be a college prospect. Meanwhile some kid that hits .500 in 4A Farmersville may have  no chance to play beyond HS. Try explaining that to Farmersville Dad. 

Right now the problem is, and I understand it's stopped a lot of players from advancing, the offspeed stuff. You throw him a FB at your own risk. He is having trouble seeing the spin and adjusting to offspeed. In his defense, he hasn't had much opportunity to figure it out at this level because of the PO thing. He has a year off to figure it out so we'll see. We've taken note that no small amount of MLB players with what would normally be considered acceptable vision wear contacts.

But to the FB.

https://www.facebook.com/klknt...eos/980645728934346/

What's the saying, jack of all trades master of none.

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad