Skip to main content

Reply to "Two-Way Player... becoming more common? Should it? Thoughts"

RJM posted:

I don’t believe being a two way in high school is a big deal. The catcher, shortstop and center fielder going on to college ball are likely have big arms relative to high school. Only ten percent of high school players go on to college ball. Against most high school lineups a quality high school pitcher only has to get by three or four hitters who can really hurt him. 

When you get to travel ball providing college exposure you should make up your mind. You don’t want to diminish both talents trying to do both. You want to optimize one talent.

That is kind of my point of my OP.  Why should a HS coach make a kid be a PO -  if he is good enough to hit and play other positions, especially if only 10% of HS kids go onto college? Why not let the kid(s) pitch, play a position and hit and have fun? Especially if HS is the end of the road. Now, if the kid is on the team to pitch only because he has nothing else to offer, that is a totally different topic - and that should be made clear by the HS coach from the beginning. My 2 cents on that.

Now, for a kid that is serious about going to college, if he knows he is PO material only, then that is a conversation and decision for the player and parents to have, along with any appropriate coaches/trainers.  I completely agree with mastering your strengths to put one in the best position for advancement as possible.  I was an outside hitter in HS volleyball, but I loved playing the setter position.  My coach let me play that position every once and a while in games and let me practice it because she knew it made volleyball fun for me.  But, my JO coach said "no-no" and I was strictly an outside hitter and only focused on that when I was with my JO team.  That is what got me to college.  That is what I feel travel/showcase teams are for - not necessarily HS.  Again - just my 2 scents.