Skip to main content

Reply to "Two-Way Player... becoming more common? Should it? Thoughts"

anotherparent posted:

So this takes the question in a slightly different directly (but not really from the OP):  which do kids prefer to do, pitch or hit/field?  Not "which is going to get them to the next level," but "which would they rather do if just given the choice"?   Understanding that they are not always given the choice in hs.

If a player has the ego of a top athlete he wants it all. Every sport has its “game on the line, give me the ball” moment. In baseball it’s on the mound. Yes, it could be a hitter. But it’s a one in nine shot. A hitter isn’t guaranteed getting to the plate with the winning run on second. 

As a player if I had to chose I wanted to be a position player. I couldn’t imagine not playing all the time. I hated sometimes sitting second games of doubleheaders. I also hated coming to the plate or be on the bases not at 100% from pitching. On a loaded with pitching Legion team (the best summer ball then) I told the coach I preferred to play outfield and pitch if needed. 

Maybe I influenced my son talking about my experiences. He also pitched for his high school team and played outfield. He told his 17u travel coach while outfield was the focus he was willing to eat some innings if needed. He enjoyed being on the mound when it happened.