Skip to main content

Reply to "UC Davis"

@Smitty28 posted:

I find this story to be very disturbing.  As if freshman ball players don't have enough stuff to deal with... from everything I've seen with my son, it takes every ounce of focus and energy to be on your game every day, there is just no time for this stuff.  It sounds like the house cleaning needs to go deeper than the HC and coaching staff.

Smitty,

The assistant coaches were exonerated completely! One is still working for Davis. By and large this was a player generated fiasco!
One thing every parent of a college player(or HS player with college aspirations) should learn from the report:

”witnesses in misconduct investigations balance complex considerations in deciding what to share with investigators and how to share it. Based on our experience, interviews with members of insular organizations like teams often are influenced by an even broader mix of motivations, including:
 Self-interest/concern about their own conduct
 Interest in protecting the future of the organization
 Concern for the reputation of the organization
 Positive and negative relationships with organizational leaders and specific members
In addition, organizational witnesses often share information about their interviews with many of their peers despite confidentiality requests. Even witnesses who are otherwise more comfortable telling the truth can convince themselves to withhold information when they believe an investigation is unfair and that their peers have not shared information. In contrast, once people know peers have discussed a topic, they are more likely to acknowledge it, even if they are uncomfortable discussing the topic themselves.”

We can certainly hope the Davis team examples are on the fringe.

I, for one, would be hesitant to conclude some type of initiation and at least the use of alcohol isn’t omnipresent in college baseball. Parents will often be among the last to know in my view.