Skip to main content

Reply to "UCL tear"

BucsFan posted:

OK, just the facts, because I wasn't there and my son is not the first to go through this process..so no need to layer on a bunch of emotions.

My son hadn't faced a batter (literally had not thrown a single pitch with a man standing in the box) for 17 months (senior year, HS playoffs was last time).  This Friday will be 1 year anniversary of his TJS.  Dr. Kremchek had purposefully slow rolled his rehab throwing protocol (given the timing).  HC/PC saw him throw a pen this week and decided to let him throw an inning yesterday in a scrimmage vs. another D1 in New England.  He came in late for a freshman who was struggling, inheriting a 2-0 count and R1 and R3, no outs.  After a double steal, MIF mishandling throw down, he had R2, no outs.  He then goes BB, HBP, K, K, K.  He threw nothing but fast balls.  They did not put a ball in play.  The last K was 3 pitches with at least 2 (he said maybe 3) swing and misses.  He said he felt "fantastic" and it was "really awesome".  HC was "ecstatic" and said it was "incredible" how he pounded the zone after the layoff and after finding his release point.  Velo was fine, not where it was/should be/will be, but just fine for now.  HC wanted him to go back out for another inning.  AC said "wait, wait, what are we doing?  It is October and he is coming back from surgery!" So, they thought better of it.

Two other facts:

1. Good thing I wasn't there or I would have cried like a baby, and

2. I enjoyed a big fat cigar on the deck in his honor.

Then the Steelers beat the Chiefs, and my day was complete.

That’s awesome! I can only imagine how proud you must be and how happy your son must feel after an outing like that!