Skip to main content

Reply to "UD Women's Softball rescinds verbal offer - another cautionary tale"

There is a lot going on here. The first being article bias. Yes, she is All American, but according to this website only. If a PG All American were uncommitted, they would be swimming in top 25 offers. Not a shot at the girl either, I'm sure she's very good, but I now know I can't 100% trust the article. 

Honestly I have to blame the people in her corner. They should have been putting pressure on the school to find a coach or she would start seriously considering other offers. 8 weeks is too long not to have a head coach. Even after the "We have to look into academic money" conversation I would've run, not walked away. If it wasn't obvious that they didn't have much interest after that conversation, her travel coaches weren't doing their jobs. And then the "We won't know until November" conversation was a straight lie and I would have advised anybody to find another option on the spot. 

I have to give the coach some credit, at least she gave a warning beforehand and she was honest. Saying we don't need a catcher in this class is most likely the truth. Maybe there is another catcher in the class, maybe the focus was MIF/OF. I don't know the roster, but it beats being told 10 days before signing day that you are not needed. 

When coaches recruit players they only care if they can help them win. They do not care if they were all americans, players of the year, or if their parents are alumni. They want to know if this player can help them win and help them keep their job. 

Hopefully this girl has options. If softball doesn't work out Delaware is a fine school. She would receive in state tuition and with her 4.0 it would mostly likely be very very cheap to go there, possibly free. If it weren't for the article I'm sure this coach would've gladly taken her on as a walk-on.