Skip to main content

Reply to "UD Women's Softball rescinds verbal offer - another cautionary tale"

I feel bad for this girl, but I agree with those here who said the coach did nothing wrong. I've only been on this site for a year, but even I know that nothing is guaranteed on either side when there is a coaching change (I know a player who decommitted from a D1 this summer after the coach left). This new coach gave immediate warning signs to the player that she wasn't as valuable to the new coach. It seems like this player loved the school and therefore may have not heeded those warning signs. The player said she started talking to other schools after the former coach left, but she didn't say if she had other offers. Based on the info she provided, it appears the player decided to pursue a shot at her dream school rather than pursuing other schools. Unfortunately, she lost that gamble. I commend this coach for being up front. There was another recent thread on here where the coach was not up front with players he no longer wanted, and instead treated them badly in hopes they would leave. So I give credit to this coach for letting the player know right away that she wasn't as wanted as she previously was.