Skip to main content

Reply to "UD Women's Softball rescinds verbal offer - another cautionary tale"

2019Lefty21 posted:
RJM posted:
2019Lefty21 posted:

Just so I understand, what are “the right counter moves”?

A coaching change should be a huge red flag in the first place. If I wasn’t contacted quickly by the coach with a sense I was wanted I would decommit. 

I would research the new coach. If there’s a difference in coaching style chances are the players stock went down unless the player is the stud everyone wants. Very few players chose to go to a mid major if they’re the stud everyone wants. One of the few exceptions I can think of is Elena Del Donne who coincidently also chose Delaware for basketball. But there were extenuating circumstances including leaving UConn (top program) after a couple of weeks due to home sicknesses and other issues.,

I would judge how fast the new coach wants to meet me in person. It shows how much I’m still wanted. I need to be sold on staying with the program.

I would be up front asking if the same offer is still on the table. It would be asked in person in order to read body language.

i would ask in person how I fit into the program. Even doing so, like recruiting the player has to be careful to hear reality not what they want to believe they are hearing.

The biggest mistake the girl in the article made was falling in love with her local state university where her parents also went to college. The second was believing she was so good she would still be wanted with the same scholarship money.

Like the other article (Ohio) If the player is so good where are the major college offers? Big numbers don’t always mean big time stud. Some big time program would be swooping in at the last moment. At least one big time roster would have room. In the case of softball they typically don’t have large rosters anyway due to only needing three pitchers. 

Ok thanks for explaining. I guess when I read the article she did as much of that as timely as she could’ve based on the time schedule that things happened. I have learned this is a business. Perhaps she was overly in love with the school,  I just didn’t see her having many options to do things differently unless she just decided immediately after the coach left that she needed to find somewhere else. One thing I have heard said over and over you are being recruited to play for the school, not the coach but maybe that just doesn’t apply when a coach is removed. I just needed to understand what the right counter moves were. 

Here’s what I could discern from a quick search ...

The coach who recruited her was fired after having a losing record for five seasons. It puts his recruiting in the questionable category for a new coach who is a rising star. RED FLAG

She’s a catcher. When the player is a freshman the team will have a senior catcher who was first team all conference as a soph and a sophomore top recruit from the west. RED FLAG

The new coach has succeeded where she’s moved  with a running game. Another catcher isn’t going to help transitioning to a running game. RED FLAG

The new coach better be calling me right after getting named to assure me I’m in her plans or I can see the writing on the wall. The writing is RED FLAG.

This is all from the outside looking in. It’s without knowing details. The situation could be worse.

Once a player signs an NLI and/or shows up and starts practicing they’re committed to staying or transferring and sitting out or transferring down if the coaching staff changes. Evaluating the situation when there’s a coaching change before signing an NLI is essential.

Yes it’s more important to look at the school over the coaching staff. You don’t know what can happen. If a program is looking to win and the coach has a losing record be prepared. If the coach is a rising star who elevated the program be prepared for bigger programs to steal him. At the D1 level a player is likely to transfer. At an academic D2, D3 or Ivy the player is likely to walk away from the game and stay at the school. 

Last edited by RJM