Skip to main content

Reply to "UD Women's Softball rescinds verbal offer - another cautionary tale"

I would disagree on AD's job.  His/her job is to keep as many recruits as possible not encourage them to leave.  The AD should call and say we are in the process of hiring and I'm sure you will continue to fit into the plans of the program.  I will make sure the new coach contacts you as soon as possible.  Never would an AD encourage prospective players to leave.

I see the writing but I also see the realities.  The coach was probably getting pressure to get local good talent.  It happens all the time.  The administration gets pressure from alumni to encourage the coach to recruit the child of Mr and Mrs University/College.  They are both alumni and give money or were such and such.  If you don't believe this happens you are mistaken.  Hear it from coaches at all levels including P5's.  I had to give Jr. a chance since both parents are alumni and they know so and so.  This was her school choice but it does not mean that a new coach and a new AD had to abide by it.  The new coach was honest and told her I know you were recruited by the old coach but your skillset does not fit into my plans.  That is not defending the coach, that is the truth.  If you are good enough, you can stay and earn it but if you are not you better run fast.  I still hold the new coach probably knew she was talking to other schools which shows there is not the true loyalty that was portrayed.