Skip to main content

Reply to "Ulnar Collateral Ligament (elbow)"

My son had 2 MRI of his elbow which were both "inconclusive". The doctor shut him down, but no physical therapy. Thank goodness he came home from school.....about one month into the summer, he still complained of elbow pain. I made an appointment with an orthopedic doc and can you believe the doc didn't need to see the MRI? He knew just by feeling and manipulating his arm that he had a torn UCL. After the surgery the doc revealed that he was "impressed by the amount of scar tissue" built up.

My point, MRI don't reveal everything......every doctor is different....

Most doctors will operate as a last resort. Give the physical therapy a try---for the full course of prescribed treatment.

The surgeon had told me at one point that he is very sad about seeing so many surgery candidates who are under 18. One reason is specializing in one sport at an early age and another reason is because of year-round sports. The arms and legs need time to rest and recover. I am in total agreement with sitting out fall ball.

"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Things would have been so different.