Skip to main content

Reply to "Umpire thought..."

quote:
Originally posted by bsballfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy03:
quote:
Originally posted by bsballfan:
Um, that is a huge load of bull. Please don't tell me that you believe it's harder to have the skills to umpire in the MLB than it is to play in the MLB.

If you really believe that, so much is now clear to me.

Read my post, carefully. I said nothing about skills.

The stats are there. Check out the book. If you are the sort who will ignore facts to cling to a belief, so much is now clear to me.

It must be nice to live in your world, where you are so smart and everyone else is so obviously inferior to you.....just because there are less jobs doesn't mean that it is more difficult to get one of those jobs when there are FAAAAAAAAAAR more kids who dream of playing in the MLB than umpiring there (more competition for jobs)......by your logic being a PA announcer would be harder since there are only 32 of those.

Your arrogance has no bounds......

Simnply Amazing. You attack me for citing a statistical fact and providing a source because it doesn't fit with your definition of reality and I'm the arrogant one?

Can we please get past name calling? One of the nice features about this site, for the most part, is the lack of name calling so prevalent on other sites. Please join us in keeping it that way.

While what PIAA has said is part of the equation, it is not the entire story. (There goees your PA announcer theory.)

Other parts of the story include:

Competition: Minor league umpires must stack better agains the competition to be reained than do minor league playerss. Again, this says nothing about comparing levels of skill of umpire vs player, rather it involves level of skill of umpire vs umpire as opposed to player vs. player.

Hard headed dedication:

Umpires, regardless of their standing in their rookie class, receive no bonuses off which they can live for a few years. Their starting pay still, I believe is about $1900 per month for the season. They receive a small annual bump, but basically are paid a very low scale for their duration in the minors, which, if they make it, can easily last 10-13 years. It takes incredible dedication and the willingess to live in a substandard style for years to hang on to that dream and support a family.

Yes, there are players who demonstrate the same level of dedication, but there are also those, for the most part, those most likeley those to succeed, who have the advantage of decent bonus that can be banked and used to assist the player during his travel through the minors. No such system exists for ANY umpire, regardless of skill. The number one rate umpire out of PBUC (their version of the top draft pick) gets nothing financially for being the best. Is some years of heavy MiLB turnover, he may get to skip the rookie leagues and start at short season A

Again, I am not making any claim regarding talent or skill. IT's apples and oranges. No doubt those working their way through the minors as umpires would not make it as players. Equally, I know of four MiLB players who went to umpire proschool after getting relased from their organizations who didn't get a nibble from PBUC. Different skill set, different outlook. I am only reporting that, statistically speaking, it is more unlikely for rookie umpire to make the show than it is for a rookie player.

Now, if you can get past the name calling and open your mind a little to reality, we can have a civil discussion. If not, it was nice knowing you.
Last edited by Jimmy03