Skip to main content

Reply to "Umpire thought..."

quote:
Originally posted by TX-Ump74:
OK... I know generally that there is a period of time that a guy in AAA will bounce back and forth (filling in)between AAA and MLB at least for a few years up to maybe 8 .... is that not the time you are evaluated and then either given a number or told "thanks for coming out" with a pat on the back?

So guys going from AAA to MLB don't generally just get moved up (I think) without a few years moving up and down, and going through an evaluation period in the BIGS, this would also includes Spring training...

I only know a few guys in MLB and the Minors and they understand that once you get a number your in but getting there you are under a microscope...

Again my 2 cents...

Getting a number means only that you're in the group from which vacation and injury relief umpires are drawn. Within that group is a ranking. The top two will end up working more MLB than AAA. The bottom few may only get a handful of opportunties. Some may get none.

Depending on need, promotions to the Majors can go beyond those couple working nearly full time Majors. On the negative side, depending on projections even "call-ups" with a lot of ML experience can get released. There is always more than 200 guys behind you getting better and waiting for their chance. Most are also younger, although ageism is a secret no one mentions in MLB. Without promotions, releases are required to keep the troops moving. There have been cases of MiLB umpires with 15 years in, three of which included being a call-up, who have been released.
Last edited by Jimmy03