Skip to main content

Reply to "Umpires"

quote:
It may be a function of a shortage of people willing to ump...

This is true.....we face a dire shortage of qualifed umpires in just about every level of baseball...but HS baseball has its own issues....

In HS baseball, its often that you dont get the best umpire....but the most available umpire...with start times at 3:30 or 4:00 many good qualified umpires can not get out of work in time to do many of these games....leaving a large amount of games to be worked by retirees, and others...

Each year we lose umpires from the ranks.....many get tired of the hassle and whining from fans and parents dead set on finding a reason to blame losses and personal failures....

Many tire of the financial burden that is takes to umpire....Yes we get paid....but before the first pitch of the year.....I personally am at least $400 in the hole....multiple registrations, (NCAA/NFHS/PIAA/LEGION/PONY) 1 Million dollar liability insurance, clinics, gear and uniforms for each league.....

For the record this year I was scheduled 12 HS games....with rainouts I did 5....I am still in the hole at the end of the HS season...so its clear I dont do this for "the Money"....I could do better financially as a greeter at walmart.....

Many tire of the educational requirements,,,the minimum state meetings and clinics....

I owe the game my best efforts.....and over the years, I have moved up and away from the youth game....if I do the best job I can with my experince and skill level...and the player does the same...then we both can walk away from the game feeling we did our best.....

But what I can NOT abide is an Umpire and Players ( add in Parents) who cover up a poor performances by themselves claiming poor performance on the other side

Just my ..02 of course...
Last edited by piaa_ump