Skip to main content

Reply to "Umpires"

Originally Posted by CPLZ:
Atta boy .300. Get you some.

This is my first time in to the new and improved site. Don't know if the old gang - CPLZ, bballd1954, Bravescoach - get back in too often. And if weren't for the guy selling socks, I would have missed this old thread.

I am gettin' me some...patched and I'm going into year three. HS weekend DH's only, though I did take off for spring break to work DH's that week. I have graduated to a sophomore schedule. And of course a summer full of Daddy, I mean, travel ball.

It's a totally different perspective from behind the dish. Maybe I've been lucky so far, but with almost 200 games called, I can count on two hands the number of catcalls related to my strike zone. Most of those catcalls were correct, I learned and I adjusted.

There is no doubt, the umps in my association work hard at their craft and feature a number of guys who repeatedly are asked to work regionals, sectionals and state. The only way they get to do those games is because they are highly rated by the varsity coaches. Those quality umps, in turn, pass along their knowledge and experience to old rookies like me.

Face it, there are bad players, bad coaches and yes, bad umpires. And most of those guys are only umpiring to get away from their bad wives....