Skip to main content

Reply to "Uncommitted 2022's - Tough but fair analysis"

Although we live in the southeast, my son didn't focus a lot of energy on those schools, so take this fwiw:  Isn't some of the "cold weather schools" phenomenon a function of the fact there just aren't a lot of HA D3s in warmer parts of the country?  Yes, there are some great HA schools in the south, but not so many as in New England, the mid-Atlantic, or even the midwest.

Also fwiw, my son found that southern HA D3s just didn't respond to email inquiries.  So far as I could tell, if they hadn't already seen you in person, you didn't exist.  This was true even for schools within a few hours' drive that were no more academically demanding (and in many cases had lesser baseball reputations) than schools further north.  (See, e.g., the recent thread on Washington & Lee.)

I do think there's a large dose of randomness in the process (or at least the influence of factors you can't control or understand).  My advice is to cast a wide net among schools you'd be willing to attend, then focus your efforts wherever there is demonstrated interest from a coach.  If that's in a place where you need to shovel snow out of the batting cage in April, then just plan on packing warm clothes.

The only HA D3 I could find on any HA list (a couple of top 50 and 75) from the Deep South is Emory. Are there others?