Skip to main content

Reply to "Under Armour/Baseball Factory National Tryouts - Aug. 30, Grafton/Norfolk ??"

I never said stay home either!!! I, in fact, said that I believe you get your kid as much exposure AS HE WANTS and your family CAN AFFORD. Reread my post please.

As for baseball's lexicon, how did anyone ever get discovered before AAU, travel teams, showcase camps, etc? I am 33, and is seems as though I must have been the luckiest guy in the whole world to be "found". Just remember what your kid goes through to get "discovered". This is a stressful experience, and I know that parents and kids are given countless pieces of "advice" from scouts and college coaches. So it's always better to hear "Your kid has a ton of potential, and we've got our eye on him" from 1000 coaches vs. 20? Maybe... But not at the expense of your kid being able to be a kid. I don't necessarily believe that more kids get to the "right" school because of more exposure. I don't believe that kids fall to D-3 to "waste away" when they are D-1 talent either. That is for parents and friends to say, but it RARELY happens. I have seen MANY more D-1 talents get burned out and stop playing because the game is no longer fun, however.

I always loved the game, but this game becomes a job and a business soon enough if your kid is lucky enough and hard-working enough to play at the highest levels. My only advice is to pay attention to kids, and don't let the business of sports become the driving force behind playing. Again, GOOD LUCK, ferr!